2016 prep work

The early preparations for 2016 have started! Even though it is still too cold and wet to plant barley, I’ve been able to catch up on some necessary maintenance on the hopyard.

The honey locust and black locust trees (poles) and logs (anchors) have made it through their first winter. In order to add further structural support, I’ve ran cables from the top of the end-poles down to the anchors in the ground. This should help to stabilize the whole hopyard due to the increased weight of this year’s production. I’ve only completed this for the north end so far, but added the south end to my to-do list.